Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Coach & The Custodian

Should I toss out the word 'Bowl,' folks from the Los Angeles area might think, 'Hollywood Bowl.' Football crazies might think 'Super Bowl.' Well, rest assured people in Jacksonville and West Central Illinois will believe the reference is the Jacksonville high school basketball facility known as
'The Bowl.' This 2500 'no bad seat' facility was an architectural design before it's 1952 time.

When I began a 21-year basketball coaching tenure at 'The Bowl' in 1977, a new floor was being installed and naturally, I had some design input. My son, Steve was a sophomore that year and suggested that we incorporate the 'words' THE BOWL on the floor much like the popular Atlanta 'Omni.' 'The Bowl' script words remain Today.

Jacksonville alumni and locals speak in reverent tones about The Bowl and those who have been caretakers, i.e., custodians took extreme pride in their charge. One Bowl custodian, Stanley Tendick was a coaches favorite if not always appreciated by the administration. I have a couple of Stanley-stories to share with blog readers the next couple of days.

I met Stan that first coaching season in Jacksonville. He was along in years and worked part time as a Bowl custodian under Jake DeOrnellas, head custodian. One night after my practice ended, I realized that I did not have my automobile at The Bowl because of servicing. I needed a ride home. Jake told me "I'll have one of my men give you a ride, Coach." Introduction to Stanley Tendick. Now, God bless Stan, he had a speech impediment, which worsened when he was the least bit nervous. He was a tad tongue-tied with a stammer. As I walked around Stanley's old model car, I noticed that the   backseat was filled to the windows with tools and all kinds of scrap plumbing pipes and metals. I   eased my self into the front seat and Stan pulled away from 'The Bow' headed towards South Jacksonville. We had traveled less than two-blocks when suddenly two-police squad cars with lights flashing came up behind Stan's vehicle. Stanley in his excitement drove up onto the curb striking a 'Do Not Park Here' sign and knocking it completely to the ground. Naturally, I'm thinking what the hell is going on? What's really in that backseat? Who IS this guy, Stanley Tendick? Now the police officers are not getting out of their squad cars. This means they fear that we have weapons...I know this from my East St. Louis education. 'Holy crap, I'm the new high school basketball coach and tomorrow's headlines will have my name and face on the front page of the morning news paper!'

One officer approaches the car with gun drawn and orders us out to place hands on car and spread our legs. Stanley begins attempting to make his plea and his nervous stammering makes words impossible to understand, except he finally gets out this line: "Do, do, do you You you off, officers know who, who this guy, guy is," as he nods towards me? The officer responds, "No, and we don't give damn who he is!"

After examining Stan's auto contents and asking a few questions, the officers were satisfied that we were NOT the two suspects that just robbed Dunlap Liquor Store. Although, it surprised me when one officer said rage robbers were driving a car answering the description of Stanley's car...wrap your head around that...another car like Stanley's in town.

Convinced that I WAS the new basketball coach, both officers shook my hand and welcomed me to Jacksonville.

I'll share more about my association with Stanley the next two days. He was special.
(Touch)
"He's the Coach."

No comments:

Post a Comment