Saturday, July 1, 2017

Special Angels

I go to my Church about three or four times a week. I only attend one worship service Sunday morning. On Wednesday evening, I help a young man whose youth meeting leadership I admire and endorse. I don't know that I'm much help but I do like lifting up his efforts. The other couple of weekly Church 'stops' are usually impromptu. For example, when dropping off or picking up my wife from her Bible Study Class, I slip into the sanctuary for moments of meditation. I suppose it is that appetite to feel the Lord's presence; to feel close to God.

There are other times that I 'feel' a brief presence of God when watching a Florida sunset, looking across the Great Plains seeing for miles and miles. Certainly, I have had those magnificent breathtaking views of the open seas and the soaring tops of great mountains, which stirs my heart with the nearness of my Creator.

Funny though how all those things pale in comparison to the nearness of God I have experienced when rocking a new born crying child to sleep in the stillness of midnight hours. I first had this incredible spiritual moment when I was sixteen. My mother, who was 36-years old had given birth to her third son, Martin Bennett. Let me back up and share this perception before continuing. I've been told and in a few cases noticed that most teen boys tend to be a bit uncomfortable and even embarrassed with a pregnant mother in the social midst. Not me! I was proud of my mother. My mother was a pretty lady adored by a strong handsome husband.

When baby Marty was born, I was eager to get home from dates to see if he was sleeping or perhaps being fussy. Should the latter be the case, I encouraged mom to go to bed and then I rocked that precious life long after he fell asleep. Later, as a father, I repeated that close to God time with my own three children. Looking into a sleeping new born's face pressed against your chest and hearing the sighing from new life tells me God is near.

These days, I get a similar God is near 'feeling' every morning when Toy Poodle, Yodie leaves the foot of our bed to find my face on the pillow and fall back asleep next to me. The world needs more kids and puppies.
(Touch)
Special,Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment