Sunday, September 2, 2018

Determination In The McCain Bloodline

My wife and I watched a good bit of Senator John McCain's Memorial Service. I enjoyed hearing the remembrances of McCain from his family and many political contemporaries, i.e. Joe Lieberman, George W. Bush and Barrack Obama. I shall not take personal liberties in this blog with any comparisons regarding Presidents of yesteryear and the current version today...that would be too easy, 'Like shooting fish in a barrel.'

Actually, one of the comments that stuck with me above all came from a television commentator at the event and not from any principal speaker. Let me set it up, if I may: John McCain's mother is 106 years old and in attendance at her son's memorial. A television commentator related a story about the elder McCain recalling a time she visited Paris, France when she was ninety years old. It seems that Mother McCain tried to rent a automobile at a rental agency but was denied because they told her, "You are too old to rent a vehicle." She left without a confrontation and went to a auto dealership and purchased an automobile, using it for the duration of her Paris trip. Perhaps Senator John, the war hero got some of that stubborn determination trait from his mother as much as the military family men before him.

No comments:

Post a Comment