Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Our Primrose Lane

The past weekend was a good one, a very good one. On Saturday, my wife, Gerry and I hooked up with my brother, Tom and sister in-law Vicky for lunch and a nice visit. With long journey's in our respective rear view mirrors and similar youth experiences, we never run short of conversational topics.

Later that day, we traveled a few miles South of brother's Glen Carbon home to Fairview Heights where we met childhood friends Dick and Fran Pawlow for the occasion of Gerry and Fran's 60th St. Teresa high school Class Reunion. Gerry and Fran (Shimkus) Pawlow grew up in the same East St. Louis neighborhood and attended elementary and high school together. Dick and I played baseball against one another in youth leagues and high school but joined efforts on East St. Louis' Post 53 American Legion Baseball Teams.

Similar to Tom and Vicky's chats, the Roustio's and Pawlow's never beg for conversation. Even though, we attended different city high schools, my wife and I dated all through those years so consequently, we each knew the others high school classmates and friends. As the case with every journey, we miss those who have passed but recall them with great love and fondness. Those with whom we re-unite brings back wonderful stories and precious memories.

As I watched my wife of fifty-eight years move about her school mates of yesteryear and observed her engaging and most sincere personality laced with animated motions, I recalled just why I fell in love with the petite little, Geraldine Bischof.

The next morning (Sunday), Gerry and I were the luncheon guests of son, Steve and daughter in-law, Kathy along with granddaughter, Loren. It was a birthday celebration for my wife and the location was indeed special. We dined at 'Das Bevo' on Gravois Avenue, St. Louis, which is a historical restaurant built over 100-years ago by August A. Bush, Sr. Fifty-nine years ago, the establishment was simply Bevo Mill, the 1959-site where I gave my girlfriend, Gerry an engagement ring and proposed.

This past Sunday, we recalled that night when I had slipped the ring into Gerry's water glass and she nearly gulped it down before realizing what was in the water.
(Touch)
Primrose Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment