Thursday, September 13, 2018

Whose Job Is It?

Recently a Georgia Charter School, grades kindergarten through 9th re-instated paddling a student on the butt with a wooden paddle as a form of discipline. The superintendent stated that their school takes discipline seriously. The school's administration sent 100 paddling-consent forms home to parents and approximately one/third 'gave' approval to spanking their child. The process requires the administrator to telephone the parents before the paddling. I suppose that's called a 'consent-renege.'

I have always seen myself as a disciplinarian and one who believes a paddling on the behind under certain conditions could be appropriate. That said, I don't believe it's okay for anybody except a parent to 'spank' a child. The problem is> parents don't like to spank their 'friends.'

Make no mistake that the disciplined child is a rare child in 21st century American schools. I've seen classrooms in recent years and teacher-control of the environment is suspect in the majority. The learning environment is greatly compromised. Many parents are so weak at their responsibilities they expect the institution (educators) to be disciplinarians with parameters.

Let's be honest about this schooling situation. Today's parenting expectation of public schools is 'womb-to-room.' We start little children at age four in pre-school, on to kindergarten and the 12-year traditional education. Parents want the school bus to pick the child up at the end of the driveway, have a before school breakfast, after school programs and bring junior or Missy back to the driveway. Oh, my goodness, do not call off school for anything because I'll need to scramble for a babysitter.

Third grader, Mel got a swat at school and then three at home because I got the one at school. At the beginning of every elementary school year, my father told me to pay attention to the teachers and "Don't do anything that would cause me to miss work and come to the school." When I started playing sport the directive sounded the same theme, "Boy, teammates don't like a 'goldbrick' and I won't tolerate a poor sport; don't embarrass your team, coach or family unless you don't want to play."

When I got a bit rambunctious as a very young boy, my dad would often look me in the eyes and say,
"Hey boy, straighten up and fly right!"

My teachers and coaches did not have to teach or coach my attitude...Dad took on that responsibility.
(Touch)
Straighten Up, Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment