Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Let's Be Honest Old Man!

I have noticed a communication issue between adult children and their aging parents...just a fact of life I suppose. Way back in the day, if a medical doctor concluded some life ending health issue with the oldster, he (doctor) shared the bad news with the adult children and left it to the younger generation to 'share' whatever with mom or dad. Times are much different these days. Driving the more straightforward, 'tell it like it is' communication between medical doctors and patients is the patient rights law and potential lawsuits.

Obviously, nobody gets out of this picture-show alive. That said, it's much easier to have those life ending conversations with the elderly rather than with the parents of a minor child or young person in the prime of life.

I'm not a fool, although some who read my daily blog may hold a different opinion. I recall those years when I worried about my aging parents health issues and perhaps their demise. My wife and I have always been attentive to those realities. We kept the highways burning under our autos spending as much time as possible with parents and other family members. We are so happy we did because neither my wife nor I have any of those 'woulda-coulda-shoulda thoughts!

I wish for my children and grandchildren to relax and enjoy each day without worry about mom and dad; Nana and Boompa. I raise this issue on the heels of a recent telephone conversation with my son. My son asked if I thought I could 'see' my grandson, Jamie pitch some baseball games for his college team NEXT spring. I said, "Send me a FALL schedule." There was a long pause. Then my son spoke, "We worry dad, you're not fifty, you know?" I said, "I know...better send me his fall baseball schedule."

No comments:

Post a Comment