Friday, September 21, 2018

Times Change and Nothing Is Certain

A few days ago, I was leaving our home for a meeting when my wife yelled to me from another room, "Be sure you lock the door when you leave and make sure you have a house key because I'm going to bible class and won't be home."

House key?

A few weeks ago, I read reports listing the ten most dangerous 'neighborhoods' in America. Now put your head around that...we're talking NEIGHBORHOODS. The third most dangerous, crime infested neighborhood in America is my 'old East St. Louis neighborhood,' Caseyville Avenue. Folks, this writer NEVER, I repeat, NEVER had a house key because in my 1950's East St. Louis neighborhood we did NOT LOCK OUR HOMES. Today, across America people lock homes, carry guns and hope they are not slaughtered while watching music concerts in the local community park.

I often feel sad that my grandchildren will never know the social serenity of my youth. Listen, I'm not one of those old timers who pontificate about the 'good old days.' To the contrary, I believe today on most fronts far outdistances the old days, especially in the realm of technology, which has advanced medicine to untold benefits for mankind. However, I notice that even some medical advice takes 'U-Turns' much like my weatherman the day after the six inch surprise snow accumulation.

Just this past week the medical professionals told us that low dose aspirin benefits, long a part of millions' daily medical regiment holds greater risks than benefits; so much for St. Joseph's Baby  Aspirin Stock Market value. According to recent scientific reports, the 980 established medical practices over a ten year period have had 146 -reversals. This entire wish-washy advice makes me think of my Aunt Kate. When she was 89, she became irritated with all the medicines doctors had  prescribed for her so she threw every pill bottle in her medicine cabinet away. I'm not sure it was a wise decision because she died a short ten years later just a couple months shy of her 100th birthday.
(Touch)
Confusing

No comments:

Post a Comment