Monday, November 24, 2014

I Don't Recognize Today

Two doors South from our house lives twin brothers who are seniors at Decatur MacArthur high school. They live with their widowed mother. Both boys are better than 6'3"; one weighs in at 245, the other at 210. Upon graduation they intend to join the military. They are polite young men and over the past few years, we have funneled many dollars their respective directions with a variety of lawn care jobs. They are now comfortable enough to ring the door bell and inquire; "Can I make a few dollars today doing something." Often we have a legitimate need and if we don't, my wife manufactures a need.
This past Saturday, one twin knocked on the door at mid-morning and soon Gerry had him 'on-the-clock.' I noticed on three rather quick back-to-back moments, the lad was on his cell phone texting I suggested to my wife that she needed to ask the boy if he wanted to work or talk on the phone?
My wife jumped my crap and said,  "Stop acting like a crabby old man!" Next summer, I hope the boy's Army drill sergeant resembles my wife; warm, 'fuzzy-' caring and cuddling however, I am betting the sergeant will be a crabby-asshole...it's a different world than I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment