Friday, November 21, 2014

Midnight Christmas Thoughts

My wife completed our Christmas tree decorations yesterday. It's a beautiful tree with a
lovely and serene Nativity Scene beneath. My wife is much like my late Father when it comes to Christmas decorations...passionately intense!
Just before midnight last night, I came downstairs to the living room and turned on the Christmas tree lights. In the stillness of those hours, I allowed my thoughts to wonder with recollections of Christmas past. I recalled the thrill of those cowboy toys, bikes and sports equipment. I remember mom and dad sharing a kiss under a mistletoe.
Soon my memory checked off those wonderful 'all-families' get-togethers at Grandpa E.V. and Mammy's home on Christmas Eve. The laughter and joyous interactive love was incredible; so was the homemade custard!
With the passing of grandparents, the Christmas gathering baton was handed to my parents...come hell or high snow drifts and great distances, the three sons were expected to deliver their families to my folks home Christmas Eve AND...WE DID. The decorations at my parents' home was a page out of Macy's and the spread of food would rival any Country Club. Our kids hold those fond memories, I am sure.
These days, my wife and I hold the baton and host the hoopla as memories are made for another generation of children.
Finally, I stopped my reminiscing and pushed the CD play button to hear the voice of Ray Charles sing, The Spirit of Christmas. Soon, the warm tears in my eyes swelled beyond the rim of the lids and flowed slowly down these wrinkled cheeks. Ray Charles asks, "Why can't it remain all through the year, each day the same...that  "Spirit of Christmas." My selfish heart cries, 'Why can't it remain all through life...and I know the answer; because life longs for itself. The Christ Child calls each to embrace His Spirit and then let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment