Friday, November 28, 2014

Loving Remembrances

This December 21st will mark the second year of my mother's passing. I truly miss talking with her. I telephoned her 4-or-5 times a week. It was perhaps her laughter that I enjoyed the most.
I remember as a young child living on Rosemont Avenue in East St. Louis; Friday nights were my dad's union meeting nights. A fella with whom he worked attended the meetings and the man's wife would visit with mom until the men returned. I can close my eyes even today and hear those two ladies chatting in the nearby room. Their voices were soft and soothing and my mother's voice was particularly comforting and reassuring. Her vocal tones soon brought quiet slumber to a 11 year old boy.
There are other voices I miss. My dad always spoke in confident tones that gave encouragement, which initiated motivation.
I had two childless aunts who took upon themselves the profound interest in all the nieces and  nephews. Each had a distinct charm and both required 'particulars' when responding to their questions. Both aunts had full volume tones.They too are silenced.
I suppose everyone, this time of year, has such reflections...I was blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment