Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Never Know Who's Watching

My first cousin, Bob telephoned yesterday morning to thank me for a East St. Louis high school baseball cap that I sent him. The current East St. Louis high school athletic director sent me two caps so I forwarded one to Bob.
Bob was a special individual in my youth. Although he was four years my senior, Bob insisted that I play summer sandlot baseball with his friends every day when I was nine years old. That summer of 1948 was a defining moment in my love affair and put me on a journey that would pay for a college education. I am indebted to cousin, Bob. I have not seen Bob for years. I am aware of his physical health problems and current challenges due to periodic updates from his younger sister.


We spoke for a few minutes and did a bit of reminiscing before the telephone conversation concluded. Just before hanging up, Bob once again thanked me for the baseball cap and told me as he has told me several times over the years, "Moe, Bob said, "I will always remember at grandpa E.V's funeral visitation when you and your and your mom approached E V's casket and placed one of your high school baseball medals inside grandpa's coat pocket. I thought to myself back then; this guy at 19 years old is special."


I appreciate Bob's recall and thanked him for his opinion. Truth of the matter, grandpa E V Bennett was blind in one eye and never could watch any of games; too difficult for the half-sighted elderly man to follow the baseball in the bright sunshine. However, grandpa EV always insisted that I stop by his home and give an account after each game...and cousin Bob; we'll, he started the ball rolling...those two were the 'special guys!'

No comments:

Post a Comment