Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Probability Matters


I'm not the sharpest mind in any crowd. I know this because I often find myself wandering around Walmart's parking lot trying to find my car and this exercise comes on the heels of a seven aisle search for Cool Whip. Because of my limited brain power, I use 'probability' factors to negotiate life's maze. Example: I see 15 rather tall and agile teens stepping off a school bus; 2-white kids and 13 black kids, I immediately think>basketball team. I drive through Decatur's 'hood' of an evening and notice black men wearing large brim hats and gaudy gold, I think, 'drug dealers' who are NOT representing Walgreens. Entering a restaurant, I notice six older white gals wearing Red Hats and  cheap costume jewelry; my first thoughts?...They will 'probably' laugh too loudly and leave less than 10% tip for the waitress.


A few years back when our government went goofy with a color-code for terrorists' alert warnings, I recall some people worried about terrorists becoming certified public school bus drivers. Here's my 'probability' conclusion on that issue: Terrorists do their homework. At training sessions they watched videos of American students' behavior on school bus travels after school and on field trips. No terrorist is going to volunteer for THAT GIG!
Yesterday, my wife was downstairs cleaning out the utility room. She yelled up to me, "Do these basketball bounce?" I yelled back, "Hold them above your head and drop them to the floor!" I am wondering if she'll start talking to me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment