Friday, April 8, 2016

A Kind Friendship Gesture

Yesterday, I had a luncheon date with John Conklin and Len Bogle. Conklin is a former basketball player I coached at Mason City high school 1965-67. He was a bonifide all-state player who later served briefly as my assistant at Jacksonville high school before moving into that school district's administration. Bogle was a long time elementary principal in Jacksonville who came from a coaching background orchestrated by his own father. Len has always been an avid JHS and Illinois fan.

John and his wife, Rose split retirement days between Athens, Illinois, Jacksonville, Florida and Marquette, Michigan...you guessed, they have adult children and grandchildren in the latter two communities.

Several weeks ago, John telephoned me to begin the orchestration of an agreeable date and place for our luncheon. As it would work out, Len drove one hour from the Bloomington, Illinois area to Decatur while John made the hour trip from Athens. I think both were 'showing' respect for the older fella.

John arrived in Decatur an hour ahead of the scheduled luncheon so that he could visit with his old coach and show concern and respect for the coach's wife, Gerry. I have stated before that God blessed us with three children of our own but God called me to a profession which allowed hundreds to become my boys; John will always be one of those boys.

The luncheon-time went quickly as story after story rushed a crossed shared memories. We laughed as we reminisced and upon departing made overtures of perhaps 'doing-it-again.' Maybe we will and then again who knows? I do know this, I shall cherish with grateful recall the kindness of two friends.

I will share one of the stories told. Several years ago, our son, Steve was coaching basketball at Peterburg, Illinois. Attending one game was my wife and I along with daughter, Pam, son-in law, Tim and the Conklins. In the middle of a hotly contested game, my daughter, Pam leaned over John's shoulder and said, "John, my sister, Dawn, brother, Steve and me want you to give dad's eulogy." What a priceless moment! Rose, John's wife said, "Oh my goodness, John will go home tonight and start a draft." Today, I reminded John of the eulogy request. John asked, "Coach, Do you have any notes on the subject to share with me?" I answered, "Nope, you're on your own but I'd appreciate your best effort." John began to chuckle and spoke, "Coach, back in the day when you had that whistle and kept running us back and forth for conditioning, I am sure had you choked on that whistle, no player was coming to your rescue...we'd a had that eulogy a long time ago."

No comments:

Post a Comment