Monday, April 11, 2016

Polo: Good Place, Great People

My wife and I visited granddaughter, Lindsay who lives in Polo, Illinois. Lindsay is engaged to Reid, who works near Rockford but lives in his hometown of Polo. Lindsay and Reid's wedding date is mid-September. Lindsay moved to Polo nearly four years ago when she accepted a fourth grade teaching position. Lindsay fell victim to a school district cut back and lost her job. However, she landed on her feet and took a fourth grade teaching position in nearby Dixon.

Okay, let me share my impressions of Polo and that group of people who will soon be known as Lindsay's 'in-laws:'

Reid's dad, Papa Paul is unquestionably one of the easiest people with whom to engage in conversation. An intelligent gent with a terrific sense of humor.

Reid's mother,  'Nancy-Nowhere-In-Sight' was 'missing in action.' Wrap your brain around this...Nancy was vacationing in Florida with husband Paul's family. Therefore, I can only make some judgments of Reid's mom based upon Reid's maternal grandma, Shirley Gentry. Shirley is absolutely delightful. Upon meeting her, she asked that Gerry and I guess her age and weight. We both missed stating 71 & 98lbs...the correct numbers are 87 & 93lbs.  Shirley would not be cornered with my question, "Which one of the three Mitchell grandsons is the smartest?" ...although she did indicate Drew takes after the Gentry's whereas Reid and Dane favored the Mitchell's. You're welcome to process Shirley's comment as you wish.

Reid's brother, Dane and girlfriend, Victoria made an offer Saturday on a house near Rockford, which  I learned a day later was accepted...happy for them. Hope Dane has enough money left-over to buy his sweetie a big ring.

Lindsay's mom (our daughter, Dawn), father Shawn, brother, Colin and little sisters, Alexa and Ashlyn joined us for the day, which was great...it also made the sides even in case a premature war erupted, i.e., Hatfield's & and McCoy's.

Early evening, all minus Lindsay's folks made an appearance at Polo's nortorious 'Jeff's Refs' the local pub with  'Cheer's' flavor. My wife was proud of my behavior while at the local wartering-hole. Knowing I was surrounded by Cubs' fans and Republicans, I did not utter one word about the NRA, Hillary or that whinny-ass manager of the Cubs who trail the Cardinals in World Series titles 11-0.

Now, let me tell you readers who may not know. Anytime you can eat food in a small rural community do not pass on the chance. Beef is freshly butchered and I plan to return to Polo next spring for the Polo Firemen's annual community breakfast of homemade sausage, biscuts & gravy, eggs and pancakes.

Polo folks: See y'all at the wedding. Meanwhile, tell the local school officials that I will present two lectures to the school district's athletes, coaches and players...just arrange for a local beef-burger and a bottle of Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment