Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Great Times with Great Folks

Went to Jacksonville (IL) yesterday. It was time for Toy Poodle, Yodie to have his teeth cleaned. Dr. John Alan Ebrey has been our family vet for better than thirty years. He has tended to Poodles, GiGi, Rueben, Percy and Yodie. Ebrey is an excellent vet and good man with a fine caring staff.

While waiting for Yodie's procedure to be completed, my wife, Gerry and I went to Hardee's for a breakfast bite. It was great to see long time franchisee owner, Dennis Hayes. Dennis took care of many Crimsons' basketball team meals during my 21-year stint as the coach.

It was wonderful to have a lengthy visit with Bob and Pat Neff. I suspect everyone in Jacksonville know the Neff"s. They are two of the best JHS Crimsons' basketball fans. More to that story gives it legs...you see Bob Neff is 93-years old and it was his construction company that built the beloved, iconic Basketball facility for the Jacksonville School District, which is called 'The Bowl.' That structure was completed in 1952 and stands proud today as one of the finest high school basketball venues in the Midwest.

One more quick Neff remembrance. During my final four years coaching the JHS Crimsons, I also had a four-hour daily morning show on WLDS Radio. No it wasn't a sports program but a DJ 50's Music format and call-in program. One morning I mentioned on air that when I was a young boy at home, I loved when my mother had ham & beans because late at night I'd make myself a 'cold-bean' sandwich. In less than 30 minutes, Bob and Pat Neff walked into my studio, while I was on the air, to deliver a 'cold bean sandwich.

I'm sure many of you reading this blog can identify...It's the little endearing moments that makes life's journey delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment