Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Blame Game

Yesterday, I spent time with a landscaping project. I began at 8:30 AM and knocked off at 3:00PM. That may seem to be a long day for an old fart of 77, but these days find me taking more frequent work-breaks, which last longer. During one of those breaks, I gave thought to my past life as a 39-year high school basketball coach. I briefly second guessed that career choice only because that job puts the 'Coach' in a precarious position of having parents trust their kid to his care with the expectation that the kid will become a shining star. Whoa-be-tied if the star fails to shine because there is but one person to blame and that would be 'Coach.' The kid's DNA factors and work ethics is never a consideration for athletic mediocrity.

Many years ago, we were introduced to the phrase, 'no-fault insurance.' I like the phrase, 'no fault' but  I challenge the reader to think of personal experiences with fellow-man...it's usually somebody else's fault. Rare is the individual willing to accept blame. If I had a do-over, I think I would have chosen the career of politician or surgeon. Politicians always blame the 'other Party' and surgeons are covered by a 'code-of-silence.'

Well it was back to my ledge rock stacking and enough of those pondering moments during work breaks. I do that often these days but always know in my heart-of-hearts, I did what I wanted to do choosing a coaching career and I sure the hell did 'it' like I wanted to do it!

If you're in the area, stop by and I'll take a 'break' to visit a spell. If you just drive by check out the front yard landscape. You can blame it on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment