Friday, April 29, 2016

Open Your Eyes That You May See

Okay, let me state up front that I believe Bobby Knight, former basketball coach at West Point, Indiana and Texas Tech is unquestionably one of the most brilliant basketball minds. When you start saying who may be the best basketball coach ever there pops up too many variables, which muddy any factual conclusions.

On the political front, I believe Trump getting Knight to visit Indiana to publicly endorse Trump was the smartest move of any Presidential Candidate this election cycle. The fact is obvious in Indiana, there's a helluva lot of blind allegiance to Bobby Knight. There's many 'Hoosiers' who would damn near do anything or believe anything Knight would tell them. Those people dismiss all logic and sound reasoning when Knight speaks.

I understand why Knight would be drawn to Trump's candidacy...they are both obnoxious, vulgar bullies.

Bobby Knight's mind belongs in any basketball hall of fame but I would not want his thinking or personality in the White House, neither would I want Trump there.

There is one myth about Knight's winning-style. After Knight won the NCAA Championship, I attended a Basketball Coaches' Clinic where both John Wooden and Bobby Knight were speakers. Before Knight was to conduct his session, Wooden was in the venues lobby autographing his Pyramid book. As the time approached for Knight to speak, Wooden glanced at his watch and said to those waiting for his autograph, "Coaches, one of our colleagues is about to speak in the auditorium. It would be unprofessional of us to remain out here. Shall we go listen to this presenter and afterward, I'll return to complete my visit with you." I remember going into the auditorium just in time to hear a vulgar-laced rant delivered by Coach Knight. I thought, how interesting the difference between these two basketball coaching icons. It does, indeed dispel the myth that somehow one must be a hard-nose ass to be a winner. Wooden was the ultimate classy gentleman who was undoubtedly a winner.

Had John Wooden ever endorsed someone for President, I'd pay attention to that one but then, John Wooden never dirtied his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment