Monday, April 25, 2016

I Think He Knows What I Know

The past several days, I've spent time engaged in yard work. Completing a block front-yard fountain,  I moved to the backyard to till the garden. Toy poodle, Yodie follows me about wanting my attention. Also vying for attention is the next door neighbor's German Shepard, Tommy. I walked to the fence and waited for Tommy to hobble slowly to greet me. I suppose the Shepard is ten or eleven years old and his hips are giving him problems.

I remember vividly those days not long ago when Tommy the young pup would jump that three foot fence to visit with me. He also had a tendency to 'run.' Many times over the years, I'd drop what I was doing to chase Tommy down and bring him back to his yard.

Yesterday, before giving Tommy a treat, I patted his head and looked into the old dog's eyes. He's greying about the face these days. I pulled a treat from my pocket and gave it to him. Tommy hobbled towards a shady spot to enjoy the gift and I went about planting my tomatoes.

Spending much time on my knees, I grunted as I used a shovel to lift myself to an upright position. As I did, my right hip gave away, as it often does and I had to pause for a moment before hobbling around the shed towards a resting chair. As I took my second step, I saw Tommy sitting at the fence starring at me. I thought, there's a good friend. Tommy and I are the same age (77) nursing similar maladies...we're likely on the same train schedule.

I'm glad Tommy can no longer bolt that fence because his buddy's chasing-down days are long gone meanwhile, we both shall hobble to that fence from time to time and share a moment...not to forget Tommy's treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment