Tuesday, April 5, 2016

What A Wonderful Feeling

The first time I heard the stated parental philosophy, I was 24-years old, coaching and teaching in Assumption, Illinois. My wife, Gerry and I had a two year old son, Steve. We were visiting with our good friends, Sam and Marilyn; Sam was also a teacher. During a conversation, Sam said, "You guys should make sure that you don't raise just one child because when you are 'gone' that child is left alone." Throughout the years, I have heard other parents state similar attitudes. My own mother always concerned herself that her three boys might not 'stay' connected.

Well, Gerry and I are blessed with three adult kids with terrific spouses, 15 grandkids and two great-grandkids. They are all very close and connected as siblings, in-laws, cousins, nieces, nephews, Aunts and Uncles. I have watched with warmth in the knowledge that it's all good...it's all good in my sight and it will remain good in my darkness.

At age seventy-seven, I am at great peace. Praise God.


No comments:

Post a Comment