Monday, April 18, 2016

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back!

In the 'Life Section' of Sunday's Decatur Herald-Review Newspaper, the article's headline read, "Parents: Your Kids Don't Want Your Stuff." No exaggeration, over the years, I spoke the same sentiment to my wife with dozens of times. Observing my own children through their young years, I got a strong sense that they had different taste in furniture did not particularly care for other furnishings. I knew good and well that our 'old stuff' would not be good enough for my grandchildren. Consequently, I missed some great garage sale opportunities throughout the years and today various rooms in our house looks like a pumpkin farm hay stack maze.

I will fudge on the opinion that the kids want 'nothing' of ours. The girls like some antique teapots their mother collected. I am sure the 'old man' has nothing to tweak a next generation interest but I can imagine some items will be tossed on an empty bed one day and each child will take 'some thing' believing they are showing respectful honor.

Last Sunday, I read in the Church bulletin that they were having a 'Dumpster Day' at Church. You can bring 'stuff' and dump it. Even if you need, a Church volunteer will pick your stuff up and take it to the dumpster. I was so excited, one morning, I gathered up some 'stuff' from the basement. As soon as my wife got home from volunteering at the Church's Economy Shop, I thought I'd pack the car and head to the Church Dump spot. In minutes, I heard my wife enter the house. Before I could tell her of my plans, she spoke, "I BOUGHT some things at the Economy Shop that I think the kids might use. Will you help me bring the 'stuff' in?"

No comments:

Post a Comment