Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Girl Can't Help It !

Let me state up front that my love for my three children has always been strong and the loving relationship is undeniable. That said, I still scratch my head, at times, wondering how little they paid attention to their father's coaching career and sports in general.

My oldest daughter, Dawn lives in the Northwest Suburbs (Chicago) where she and husband Shawn parent seven children; four daughters and three boys. Dawn is a good mother but is guilty of too much pampering of her kids. (Note: Please forward names of any mothers of school-age kids that do NOT pamper their kids. That's what I thought...you don't know any non-pampering mommies!)

Last Thursday, Dawn's senior Barrington high school baseball pitching son pitched a couple of relief innings and pitched very well even though he took the loss. My daughter telephoned me somewhat distraught by the game's outcome because her boy 'got the loss.' (Note: The only thing good about my daughter's over-the-top sensitivity blood flow is she will undoubtedly vote Democrat thus canceling her husband's vote.) I attempted to explain baseball nuances to no avail. I told her it appeared the lad pitched well enough to gain his Coach's confidence. Well, indeed that was the case. The boy was used in two innings of relief Monday against Schaumburg high school. He entered a tied game and no-hit the opposition picking up the victory.

My daughter was not at the game but that was not her fault. If the baseball teams had 'Ball Girls' dressed in Disney characters, i.e. Cinderella and Snow White hosted a 'Cup Cake Tea Party' between innings, daughter, Dawn would be all over that like a mother planning for her daughter's September wedding...oh yes, we're doing that also.

Since Dawn was not at the game, a mother of another player decided to text some play-by-play to Dawn when son, Connor entered the game. Dawn said she was immediately relieved when an early text-message read: 'K.'  Dawn believed thar meant 'OK' your son's pitching...of course, 'K' means strike out.

Now, later this spring the family will gather in those Northwest Suburbs for a Dance Recital. It will be my twenty-fourth dance recital, but who's counting? Dawn will fuss over little Ashlyn's hair like a dog covering a prized bone. The little girl will get bouquets and have her photo taken with everyone who'll stand beside her. I will sit next to Dawn a notice her body movement coordinated with the child's dance move performance. Afterwards, I will say, "Dawn, Ashlyn 'hit it on the sweet spot,'"which will cause Dawn's look of bewilderment.

Okay sister Pamela, don't get smart and make fun of Dawn...remember those high school cheerleading days when your sideline chat, "Hold that line, hold that line" was being yelled when your football team was on offense?


No comments:

Post a Comment