Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Fun Morning Bedroom Game

Yesterday, I was sitting on the backyard swing with a cup of coffee and remembered a few years ago, my wife and I stopped playing what had been a favorite morning bedroom game. We simply quit doing it without any discussion. As I pondered the reason for our losing interest in this activity, I realized it was our advancing age, which had compromised our abilities to perform. Let's be honest. We are blessed to have these senior years together but the fact remains that some things couples once enjoyed doing together becomes problematic with the passage of time. Stay with me and I'll explain.

Early in our retirement years, I would bring a breakfast to our upstairs bedroom each morning. (That continues this day.)  Soon, my wife and I began the daily game. She would be on one side of the bed and I'd be seated in a chair on the opposite side. My wife would have one section of the newspaper and begin. She would read the celebrity birthdays. As she went through the names, I'd guess the ages. The next morning we would trade positions. If you guessed the celebrity's age within 3 years you were a winner. We kept a weekly score. We're both competitive.

How's that?  You want to know what our aging has to do with the discontinuation of our morning-bedroom-game?  Well, more and more of the celebrity birthday personalities were becoming 'strangers' to a couple who once embraced celebrities such as: Elizabeth Taylor, Burt Lancaster,  Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Doris Day, Bob Pettit, Stan Musial, Johnny Unitas, Bob Hayes, Dave Galloway and 'Buffalo' Bob Smith.

It appears celebrity-hood is much like glory...fleeting. And so are the games people play. The only thing, which transcends the years is 'dirty minds'...agreed?

No comments:

Post a Comment