Friday, June 10, 2016

Changing Times

A few days ago, I accompanied my wife to the local Dollar Tree Store. The establishment advertises that 'Everything is a Dollar.' Unlike the restaraunt business where the ownership has two money making options; increase price or decrease portions, the Dollar Tree folks must control portion amounts. Some stuff figures to be a good buy while some things ain't so hot a deal.

As we stood in the checkout lane, I glanced at the items nearby and was somewhat surprised to note one particular item...a 'Drug Test Kit.' I suppose the teenager who gets the call to stop by Burger King for a interview can swing by Dollar Tree for a pee pee stick to determine if he's good to go.

I could not help but think just how 'product-pitching and displaying has changed drastically through the years. I recall my first teaching/coaching position in the very small, engaging community of Assumption, Illinois. As a newly married couple, we practiced simple birth control methods. We gave attention to my wife's cycle and during those fertile days we used condoms. OMG, I just realized many of my grandchildren read this blog and they are now, at this moment, attempting to come to grips with Nana and Boompa 'he'in-&-she'in.'

One summer day 1962, I walked into Assimption's only drug store to purchase condoms. I expected the transaction to be the same in that community of 1,300 as it was in the 85,000 city dwelling East St. Louis. It would go something like this: the customer whispers his verbal purchase request and the clerk discreetly reaches beneath the counter and places the condoms in a bag. Well, surprise, surprise. Unknown to me, druggist, Mr. Haffner was a devout Catholic and began lecturing me about using any birth control method. I'm sure I stood there a bit red faced. I can only imagine today, Mr. Hafner having a stroke knowing that most smaller Catholic families today have obviously adopted the contraceptive mentality.

I think of Mr. Hafner every time I enter a drug store and walk by the open view colorful condom display. I wonder... Can male enhancement pill displays be far behind? A thought just ocurred to me. Had I stayed more than two years in Assumption, Illinois, we'd might be a much larger family.

No comments:

Post a Comment