Sunday, June 19, 2016

To All You Dads

I don't do coffee groups. I tried once to meet each morning with some fellas to drink coffee and kibitz but before long the attempt went kaput. It simply doesn't float my boat. That said, I occasionally have morning coffee at a nearby watering hole but all by myself. I enjoy quiet sipping and turning newspaper pages.

I few weeks ago, a group of gents slipped into the booth next to mine and suddenly I realized there was hearing issues because the speech exchange was loud. Seems as these three fellas were crying in their 'senior Java' over children who don't telephone, visit infrequently or only contact them in need. Of course, I thought immediately how fortunate my wife and I are since our children make many attempts to engage their parents. I can't recall talking at length with strangers about my kids or grandkids...what's the point. Those people don't know my family and they really are not that interested in my family.

I had a somewhat simple father's philosophy. I don't take credit for any of my children or grandchildren's successes and I share no blame when they mess up. I did my best to prepare, nurture and caution those love ones. I will always remain their advocate and willing to offer advice for what value it may have in consideration.

I try to be cautious regarding that trap where parents are 'invited' into a conversation and then suddenly the parent is not understanding or judgmental. Too often I get caught in that web and when that happens I am angry with myself. Love can compromise common sense.

Happy Father's Day to all who did their very best in the second toughest role I can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment