Sunday, June 12, 2016

Don't Buy It

I'm a little concerned with a message coming out of a recent survey of American youth regarding the perception of hard work or luck leading to success. The survey picked the minds of 18-to-25 year olds. It appears that the once believed perception that hard work is the key to 'success,' (whatever success may be) is a myth amongst this younger generation...you need 'luck' to succeed they claim.

Let me say that I understand luck sometimes happens.  However, I have witnessed too many self-made successful people because of hard work ethic and not dependent upon luck. I also get it when we factor in 'blessings,' such as good health, etc. That said and acknowledged, I still preach to younger folks that 'you' are only in control of your application-effort, commitment and dedication. Only a fool sits around waiting for good fortune.

This survey-message seems to fit the 'entitlement' mentality, which has seemingly robbed us of our imagination, passion and connection with accountability. Unfortunately, I can readily understand that in a society where instant gratification is desired and expected, we would rather believe we can wait for luck to smile upon us rather than us getting after it and 'making it happen.'

Call me old fashion but I still believe that 'the harder one works the luckier one gets.'

No comments:

Post a Comment