Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Stranger in The Moment

When you are only 'slightly' above average intelligence you obviously tend to learn at a slower pace. Yes, I would be a member of that group...a slow learner. I'm okay with it...eventually, I do learn.
An example of this would be realizing my parenting concepts are outdated.

Recently, I was speaking with one of my adult children about a grandchild entering the freshmen college year. My grandson college student to be has secured housing a little distance from the main campus.  Nevertheless, the dorm location is very desirable. Anyway, my daughter was explaining that her son did not wish to have any 8:00AM classes scheduled. My first thought was: When the hell did a freshman get a say in college class scheduling? Like an eager fool rushing to seize a parenting point, I said, "This is a wonderful opportunity to explain to my grandson the realities of the real world...how life works...how we don't always have things our way." I was about to continue my lecturing with more 1950's logic when I noticed the extremely puzzling look on my daughter's face.
Suddenly, I realized that the very same cautionary notations that I had shared with her 32 years ago were now a foreign language. I stopped my babbling and she spoke. "He probably should not have an
8 o'clock class because it's kinda far to walk to class on cold winter mornings and he'd be tempted to cut those 8 o'clocks. She continued, "I did insist that he take more than 12 hours a semester." Now, please understand, this is the same daughter that graduated from her college in 3 1/2 years. Fair to say her learning curve has diminished over time.

This daughter adored my father...her Papaw. This was the guy that told his son (who had an athletic scholarship) to "Have a job in four years" when that son started his freshmen year. My last two semesters, I carried 18 hours to meet that edict.

Later, I mentioned to my wife that I get frustrated because I feel I don't make any sense with my children anymore. She said, "I hate to bust your bubble but your logic has not made sense to a lot of people for some time now."

That evening, I thought I'd go to the nearby shopping mall and forget my frustrations. I was browsing the Von Maur's men's department and noticed some colorful T-shirts. I picked one up and read the material make up. I like those 50/50 blends. Then I noticed the price tag...When the hell did T-shirt prices go to $28.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment