Sunday, June 5, 2016

He Could be Quiet

News of Muhammad Ali's death caused me to recall a story that Jacksonville native boxing champ, Ken Norton shared with me many years ago. I was coaching at Jacksonville high school and Norton was in town visiting his parents, John and Ruth.

Norton telephoned my home one day and asked if I would meet him at the JHS Bowl (gym facility) where the Crimsons' Hall of Fame room is housed. Ken wished to see how his Boxing Championship Belt was displayed. Of course, I was happy to accommodate Norton's request. While waiting for Ken to arrive, I could not help but wonder how he would look since his near fatal auto accident in LA. When Norton stepped from his auto I could hardly believe my eyes. He was physically 'cut' like a man 15 years his junior. He obviously continued to 'workout.'

As Ken walked towards me, I noticed his gate was uneven and when he spoke, there was a need to pause and measurement in his speech. The accident had left some telltale signs. After surveying the Hall of Fame room to his delight, Norton sat for a visit. We talked about a number of things regarding his JHS days and then the topic turned to Ali.  Norton began to tell of his long hospital recovery from his accident. He spoke of the struggle to gain clarity coming out of his coma. Ken paused and tears filled his eyes when he shared the following: "Mel, he said, one evening early morning, I noticed a figure in my hospital room chair. I knew it wasn't my wife but I couldn't make out who it was. I'm sure I drifted in and out of sleep but when there was more light in the room I saw Ali sitting in that chair. I later found out from some nurses that Ali came up the service elevator to sit in my room a couple of nights. But he told the hospital staff he did not want the press ever to know he was the there."

What a story! What a special bond between two champs...two warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment