Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Moment is Filled with Riches

The months of April through October usually find me in the backyard. There the quiet serenity allows for relaxing reflections as I gaze about the plethora of colorful flower beds planted and maintained by my wife. The sunlight flickers through the three large Ash trees, which umbrella high above providing  shade during those dog days of summer time heat and humidity. Hummingbirds suspended midair drink from various concoctions as Finches, Robbins and Cardinals dart about the feeders.

Our backyard is adjacent to a Catholic elementary school's playground. During the spring and fall months, the playground finds first through eighth graders engaging the various games and playground apparatus. The different youthful chatter-expressions suggest the various grade level of social maturity and interests. Occasionally, younger children will approach my backyard fence to engage a moment of petting Toy Poodle, Yodie. Whereas the children don't know my name, many seem to know the puppy's name as they call him near.

With no houses at the back of our property, we often enjoy a gentle breeze moving across the yard. This day, I sit on the swing and listen to the children's voices as they call out a friend's name or proclaim some rules infraction of their competitive game. I close my eyes for a moment and the voices seem to sound familiar...voices from my past and suddenly,  my thoughts begin to dull all other senses as a myriad of recollections take me back across the many years.

Soon, I hear the voices fading as the children leave the play area to return to other demands. I pause in thought and whisper a prayer. I ask God to bless each child as they continue their journey I hope and pray for a fulfillment, a life lived gloriously in love and service. It is only natural that I would want for them that which was mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment