Saturday, October 22, 2016

Changing Times

Certainly 'change' is very much a part of life's continued journey. Just in my brief ride, I've noticed significant changes...some I judge as 'good;' some 'not-so-good.'

Personally, I'm really pleased that these days, I don't have to wear wool slacks while sitting in a non-air-condition Methodist sanctuary on a hot-humid Sunday morning. Also, each time my power bill arrives these days, I ease my pain recalling yesteryear and that dirty basement coal-bin and removing those stoker-clinkers and carrying buckets full to spread in the back alley. Last week while washing the auto, I thought how nice it is not needing to install those 1956 fender 'curb-finders' that kept me from scuffing up my whitewall tires...but I do miss the whitewall tires.

I like our modern refrigerator but I still have a slip of tongue occasionally calling it an 'icebox.' These days, I cannot purchase cherry phosphate sodas at my neighborhood drug store but I notice that the condoms are no longer hidden discreetly out of view under the counter, nope there is an attractive prominent condom display right next to the greeting cards rack.

 The movie industry has re-introduced the 1950's 3-D movie craze but that 3-D movie ticket does not sell for .50 per person but instead $7.50 per person with an additional $2.00 for the 3-D glasses. And boy oh boy, those movies! I don't get a movie extras of an on-going Serial Series  like 'Zoro: The Cape Crudader' and no more Roadrunner Cartoon. Today, I must sit through endless local advertisements and preview trailers before the feature movie.

Another thing about movies, I recall my 1956 Friday date night cost was about $5.00. For five dollars, I purchased two movie tickets (Fox Theater St.Louis) a  couple of  post-movie sandwiches/drinks. The last time I attended the movies the 'senior tickets' were $6.50 each and a candy bar was $3.00, which was cheaper than the $6.00 box of popcorn. It won't be long before the movie experience goes the way of my 'white buck shoes.'

No comments:

Post a Comment