Sunday, October 16, 2016

Non-negotiable

I recall once as a young boy, I questioned my father's directive; I asked him, "Why?" He answered with a one line rhyme: "Hey, boy, yours is not to reason why, Yours is but to do or die." I got the message. The message: Dad makes the final decision, not me!

I suppose 'family order' was my parents first choice. I guess my parents were also preparing me for the working world. The day would come when I would need to accept the 'rules' of an organization, which would be financially compensating me for rendered skills and abilities. Rules like the work day time, breaks, vacations, dress codes, etc. I would be 'told' the rules and expected to abide by the rules once I signed on to be a member of that organization. This philosophy is not rocket science.

I scratch my head in bewilderment with these recent refusals by athletes  to stand at attention during a National Anthem. The protester is 'making a statement,' I'm told. Recently, this protest method has gained national attention as a San Francisco NFL player refuses to stand but instead kneels during the Star Spangled Banner. This is his 'way' of bringing attention to what he calls mistreatment of minorities. Just yesterday morning, I read in the Decatur, Illinois newspaper that our own Millikin University football coach has decided to keep his team in the dressing room until 'after' the playing of the anthem to avoid the controversy.

I say bull-butter. I say, "Fire those players." Get rid of them. Most if not all (school) athletes are receiving perks/advantages/rewards due to their organization membership. A membership that has group rules and expectations, which supersedes individual wishes, therefore once you sign on you relinquish some perceived insidious 'rights.'

My basketball teams even practiced our national anthem comportment. As a team member my players understood that they represented a school and community before 'self.' After all 'theirs was not to reason why, theirs was but to do or die!

No comments:

Post a Comment