Sunday, October 2, 2016

Help The Child Grow

In 1959, I was a sophomore at Illinois State University. I recall that fall reading George Orwell's book, "1984." I remember having a difficult time imaging the year 1984; here it is 2016 and I have certainly arrived at a point where I no longer mark time by 'years' but instead, I now define my life in increments of weekly pill-box re-fillings.

Orwell's book suggested some strange coming 'looks' back in that year but I dare say back then George could not imagine 2016. One thing that I find strange in 2016 is the idiotic parenting philosophies. Take for example the over protection of our youths' psyche. Not long ago, I read a report explaining some educators' concern regarding 'harsh' grading marks. I don't make this crap up. Evidently, the 'F' letter grade is hurtful to a child. Apparently, we should not tell a school age child who fails to meet standards that the grade reflects their efforts. Nope, we are to send that grade to 'purgatory' and figure out some way to cleanse it and bring it back to little Junior or Missy with a drum roll 'B' or better mark.

How and when do you tell a child that they are failing a school subject? How and when do you explain to a kid that their skills are not strong enough to 'make the team?' Are we not deterring the youngster's growth when we sugar coat realities? If grandpa dies suddenly are we protecting the child's emotions by withholding that real life event? I suppose there is some hair-brain child psychologist out there that would rather a family wait until a visit to grandma's house and play a game similar to 'Where's Waldo?'

No comments:

Post a Comment