Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Tongue 'n Cheek

The late actor/comedian, George Burns had a hit song years ago entitled, "I Wish I Was Eighteen Again." I do too! I hear many people say that those teen years were a difficult time and would not want any re-do. Not the case here. I'd do it over in a heartbeat. I'd want one stipulation...I wish to be 18 in 2016 because I think life is easier now with greater conveniences.

Here's my theory: Kids today don't need to ask to use the 'family' car...they have their own car. I would not need to stop and find a pay phone when out and about...I'd have a cell phone. Should I not be able to get a date, I could go online and check out E-harmony. I would not need to buy all those  45-records...I could download my music from the Internet. Doing school term papers would be a breeze...just go to an online service and Walla!

I'm telling you that starting over at 18 (today) offers endless advantages. Just tuning into television these days, I can quickly find that right lawyer for the right lawsuit. I can see the physcian Assistant and avoid the Doctor. I can discover a plethora of drugs I should be asking the 'assistant' to prescribe based on advertised success. Speaking of drugs, I could avail myself to some 'male chest-beating drugs' should I wish. Why back in 1950, had I heard the phrase 'erectile dysfunction,' I'd would've thought the directions were missing from the 'Gilbert Erector Set.'

Yes sir! Those 1950's were bland and boring. We had one auto and everybody had to be home at supper time to 'eat together.' We had to deal with reunions, visiting grandparents and playing backyard family games. Know wonder I grew up to be such a nerd.

Well, I thank God each day for these 77- years and just try to forget those pitiful youthful days.

No comments:

Post a Comment