Friday, October 28, 2016

Love My Mornings

Many years ago, I had a mentor suggest to me that I should wake up each morning and immediately do something unpleasant to myself and the rest of the day would likely be better. Well, since I could not bring myself to gulp a goldfish or stick my finger in a light socket, I gave up on that idea.

I do understand the philosophy behind getting bad things out of the way as quickly as you can so they do not linger and mentally bring you down. I guess that was in the back of my mind this past Tuesday  morning when I asked my wife to go with me to the Macon County Offices and cast our 2016 voting ballot. That's correct, we voted for all our least offensive political candidates. When I got home I took a shower...felt good.

Actually, my mornings start the same. At approximately 5:30AM, Toy Poodle Yodie awakens and leaves his foot of the bed sleeping spot to stretch and make his way to my head where he does that pooch head-to-head-scent-swap with the old man. We then make our way downstairs and outside for the morning relief. Once finished with business and perimeter yard walk-sniffing, we head for the house for a dental stick treat.
(Note: I've been known to relieve myself outside but I've never sniffed the fence line...just thought I should clarify.)
The pup heads back up stairs to sleep another hour with his 'mother' while I post a blog, check blood sugar numbers, read the newspapers and surf the television channels to hear all the Donald Trump surrogates explain what Trump 'really' meant saying the things he said the day before and twittered during the night.

About 8:00AM, I take breakfast upstairs to the master bedroom where my wife and I watch a bit of The Today Show and discuss the days plans. At some point the relaxing time is interrupted by Yodie who jumps from the bed and begins growling and raking his back leg...signaling he wants be fed.
I go back downstairs where I prepare the dog's food, which is usually baked chicken or fish along with sweet potatoes or green beans mixed with his dry dog food. (Please, no snide comments about the dog's menu). After eating, the pup heads back to bed and In get dressed. Before too long, the pup finds me either in my office or family room. He once again growls and rakes. When I ask, "Whata you want?" He heads off towards the formal living room. Our living room is used twice a year by guests: Thanksgiving & Christmas. However, it is used twice daily by Yodie and me as we floor-wrestle in a tug-a-war game over a rubber duck.

Late morning, I have a third cup of coffee and head to the back yard bench to soak up sunshine...you got it...it's a two cushion bench and both cushions are used. Get a pup and I guarantee it will help you survive the human crap & chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment