Saturday, October 8, 2016

eenie meenie miney mo

My wife recently challenged me regarding blog comments I've made about my evangelical-brothers & sisters. That's correct, I am an evangelical characterized with some of the 'same' judgmental propensities. If you are a scripture person, you know that Matthew 7:1, which admonishes us NOT to judge others, is pretty much ignored by most Christians who seem to feel responsible to sit-in-judgment of their fellow man until Jesus returns for the final judgment. (Note: I cannot find scripture to support that notion but we folks, Christians or not are hell bent to judge).

Just yesterday, a Donald Trump vulgarity-laced tape demeaning women became public and immediately Trump invoked the name Bill Clinton in a manner to parse degrees of 'sin.' Trump himself, suggested that Bill Clinton's comments about women, on golf  courses are worse than his. There is our invitation to 'judge' and after all, we must determine a United States President next month.

I have recently been in private conversation with several friends on this topic>>degree of sin. Why not? I must determine if Trump's sins are greater than Bill's sins or perhaps Hillary's is worst of all.

Evidently, I have held the incorrect view about sin. I was of the opinion that all sin is equal, in so far as it (sin) separates us from God. It appears that I need to determine if idolatry is a greater sin than lying; if adultery is a lesser sin than stealing and is using the Lord's name in vain a greater sin than murder. Oh, and on the subject of murder, is the manner in which we 'kill' rated in sinful degrees?
Boy, I'd really like to have an answer to that degree of sinful murder...perhaps I could then put to rest that dilemma about abortion and capital punishment.

While I'm attempting to investigate these factors, I hope it is also revealed if players betting on baseball games is more sinful than players using performance enhancing drugs. This would solidify my vote for the Hall of Fame should it come down between Barry Bonds and Pete Rose.


No comments:

Post a Comment