Thursday, October 27, 2016

It Starts At Home

The satisfactions I have experienced in life has little to do with material possessions or accomplishments but seemingly everything to do with relationships. When I lay awake at night awaiting sleep or find that 'alone moment' of retrospect, my thoughts often return to core thinking, which began to crystallize as a child...yours does also. If ever there is unsettled issues or relationship problems all else I seek has limitations.

The unlocking of my life's journey towards satisfaction began with open discourse with my mother, that person who gave life. I did not always agree with her thoughts and philosophies but those differences were secondary to our primary parent-child relationship bond. Thoughts of my father always conjure up perceptions of a role model-hero, yet his expectations of me were healthy. He did not want my kudos and likewise did not excuse my short-comings and missteps. I have frequently told young people to focus on the 'messages' from parents and not the voice volume or the possible judgmental tone. Too often youngsters feel a need to defend.

I thank God for the early revelation to respect elders and 'honor my mother and father.' I am happy that I was able to measure the differences with parents as part of life's unique journey and NOT a war, which must have a winner and loser. The inner joy and piece with parents always kept my potential for satisfaction unlocked and in high gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment