Monday, October 31, 2016

'Right for All'

In the mid-1970's I was umpiring a high school baseball game between Staunton and Gillespie. I recall a play that day which strikes a chord today. With base runners on board a ground ball hit the base-umpire and a delayed 'call' needed to be made. As I came from behind the plate to confer with the base-umpire, I remember my partner shouting to the two coaches running from their respective dugouts onto the field to begin pleading a case. He said to the mentors, "You guys go back to your benches, because me and my partner are going to talk an get it right."

These days, you and I have been inundated with political messages, opinions, spins and debate arguments and nothing would suggest that these political wannabe leaders have any desire to 'come together and GET IT RIGHT.' 'Right' in the eyes of political parties parallels the perspectives of two high school baseball coaches each of whom were looking for a self-serving outcome, which benefits them and theirs. Let's acknowledge the reality that our desires are driven by greed, power, fantasies and gratification.

Sadly, regardless who is elected President, we are conditioned to anticipate that the opposing party will spend time, energy and resources in opposition of all Presidntial efforts.

Apparently, 'for the good of the order' is an American myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment