Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Remembering a Good Woman

Consistency in these turbulent times is a wonderful thing that eases the daily stress level and the need for anti-depressant drugs. As a lifetime athletic coach, I appreciated performance consistency. We all enjoy those around us upon whom we can 'count.' That thought established, I can state that my paternal Grandmother, Rosedelle Laudermilk-Roustio was the most consistent performer I ever knew. She epitomized consistency.

Rosedelle was a large strongly built woman without an ounce of body fat. She was physically strong and capable. My mother told the story upon meeting her future mother-in law for the first time Rosedelle rolled out from under auto where she was 'changing oil.' Years later, I took my future wife to meet Grandma Roustio and when we drove up to her house in lower Washington Park (East St. Louis), she was walking towards a partially complete building carrying 8 inch concrete blocks in each hand. Rosedelle was 'the' brick layer on this project.  My father always said that Grandma had likely wallpapered most homes in the Park.

I would avoid being critical of her husband, Grandpa Frank but suffice to say, he could be a tyrant. He was a man with expectations and many of those expectations fell upon Grandma Rosedelle...perhaps it was the cultural times. Aside from doing homestead manual labor, Frank expected Rosedelle to have meals, drive him to and from his factory work place and should the auto break down get out and push it while Frank steered the vehicle.

Grandma Rosedelle was a quiet individual, soft spoken with few offered opinions. I do recall one issue that she adamantly spoke upon...buying USA made products. Folks, I'm talking about the 1940 decade. It would seem in retrospect, Rosedelle was on to something! She was a shy, good woman who accepted life's menu and made the best of the circumstances. As my father would say, "She willingly played the hand she was dealt."

...that part about 'consistency'...Rosedelle gave me stretch-socks for Christmas 12-consecutive years.


No comments:

Post a Comment