Sunday, April 30, 2017

He Keeps Sending Blessings

The blessings just keep coming. Look, let me clear the air up-front. My wife and I have never bought into to that ethnocentric crap 'blieving' OURS was better than others. We love our relatives and believe they are terrific people. We likewise love our children, grand-grandchildren and great grandchildren and think they are talented and very special. That said, I don't believe OURS is better than YOURS. My wife and I did not 'talk' this game you can bet your sweet backside we 'walked it!'

I made it a point to balance hoorahs and criticisms...that's right, I was always ready to point out where I thought mine could measure up better. When I attend grandkids' athletic or activities' events, I am quick to praise aspects of their performances, which I believed worthy. The other side of that coin, if I knew something about what they were performing, I never hesitate to suggest a different approach. I would not be critical if I thought they (grandkids) did not wish to improve.

As I began this blog...the blessings just KEEP COMING. This Saturday was the first of six (6) grandkids' blessings for Nana and Boompa within the next few weeks. Saturday we attended grandson, Colin O'Keefe's Western Michigan University graduation. We celebrated the special occasion with daughter, Dawn and son-in-law, Shawn. Colin is one of seven O'Keefe children. Each of those kids have special talents and like us all, each has hurdles to negotiate. Colin is referenced by all in his family as 'the low maintenance kid.' He is indeed self-sufficient.

On April 12 & 13, four-year college roommate cousins, Loren Roustio and Erica Howell will be graduated from Illinois State University. God willing, Nana and Boompa will share those days with son, Steve & daughter-in-law, Kathy and daughter, Pam & son-in-law, Tim. I'll report on that gathering. Later this spring it's Metro-East high school graduation days for 'The Boys!' Steve and Kathy's triplet sons, Jake, Jamie and Carter receive diplomas; and certainly, I'll have a story from this trio.

A sidebar to all these relationships over the years is this: Gerry and I feel as much respect and love from our children's spouses as we do our kids...what a blessing there!

What's the big deal, you may ask? Here's the BIG DEAL..I'm seventy-eight years old and my wife, Gerry is one year my junior and our God is permitting us to live these blessings.

   (Touch)
Delbert



No comments:

Post a Comment