Friday, April 6, 2018

Fifty-Four Years Between Hugs

It was like many of the St. Louis Cardinals' recent home openers. I was comfortable in an easy chair in our family room enjoying the pre-game hoopla as only St. Louis can do; but what other Major League Baseball city has The Clydesdale's?

Born in a East St. Louis, Illinois seventy-nine years ago and spending my first 18-years years a stones-throw from the Cardinals' Sportsman's Park, I was destine to develop a passion for the Redbirds. My father could tell me first-hand stories of the Old Gashouse Gang and the antics of Dizzy Dean and Pepper Martin. He made me focus on the hustle of Enos 'Country' Slaughter and the smooth fluid motions of shortstop, Marty Marion. What my dad failed to tell me you could bet the hyper, overzealous Redbirds' broadcaster, Harry Carey would exaggerate more. I would be hooked for a lifetime...a Cardinals' fan. Of course, I would adopt my own childhood idol, Stan 'The Man' Musial.

Back to yesterday's' 2018 home opener. There was a moment that was unlike any other home opener I've watched. Several retired former Cardinals players who are either in the National Baseball Hall of Fame or the Cardinals' Hall of Fame had been introduced and wearing their striking red blazers were stationed along the first base line. It was moving to see Lou Brock, one of the great base runners of the game limp gamely on an artificial limb towards teammates Ozzie Smith and Willie McGee. However, when newly inducted Cardinals' Hall of Famer, Tim McCarver was hugged by old time battery mate and Hall,if Famer, Bob Gibson, I felt warm tears swelling in my eyes. You see, I had a  real personal flashback. It was October 1964 and I was coaching basketball at Mason City, Illinois. My father telephoned me the night before the Cardinals-Yankees 7th game of the World Series. "I've got tickets, he said, can you make it?" Make it I DID. I was going to watch a World Series Championship decided with my Dad.

I arrived at St. Louis and met my dad near the Park. My brothers' Tom and Marty were also there. I thought how wonderful, Dad and his three sons at the Series. Wrong! Dad could only manage three tickets, which he handed to his sons and said, "You boys bring home a winner." Well, Gibson brought home a Cardinals World Series Winner by a 7-4 score.

I remember the final out of that World Series and how McCarver ran to the mound to hug his pitcher who had gone the distance and once again yesterday the now 82-year old Gibbly and 77-years young, McCarver once again hugged at home plate. Why those  tears in my eyes...? Sure do miss Dad. What an incredible classy guy and father. He was also made of Hall of Fame stuff.
(Touch)
Thank You For Being My Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment