Thursday, April 12, 2018

Who's Crazy?

I've always believed that there is a mental wellness fine line between 'okay' and 'not okay.' If you prefer, call it 'sane' and 'crazy.' That said, if one seeks a definition of mental illness one will find multiple explanations. For the sake of this blog, I would advance the following 'mental illness definition:' "Any of various disorders characterized by impairment of the individuals' thoughts, emotions or social functioning, including schizophrenia and mood disorders such as bipolar disorders." After reading that definition three times, I am inclined to think most folks are slightly to severely canoeing 'in circles.'

I raise this issue of mental illness this morning because just yesterday while waiting at a coffee shop to meet with a graphics designer for a book cover, I over heard two old fart-contemporaries debating the gun violence solution. Of course, they both agreed that the entire problem was 'mental illness.' I bit my tongue. I wanted to say, 'Hell YES, you morons! Isn't anybody who uses a gun or any method to kill another human being (war excepted) is in fact, a  mentally ill person? Taking the life of another person would definitely fall under the category of 'unacceptable social functioning.'

Let's see...King Herod (crazy), Napoleon (crazy), Hitler (crazy), American Cowboys (crazy), Bonnie & Clyde (crazy), well I'm sure there's a few 'nut jobs' out there who would argue each of the aforementioned cases...that's why we have Criminal defense attorneys who get the 'rich' guilty guy   off with little punishment while the 'poor' innocent fella goes to the poky.

I watched the two gents leave the coffee shop and as one jumped into his pickup truck, sporting the Trump 'Make America Great Again' sticker, I just smiled and opened my Planters peanut bag and poured a handful into my Diet Coke. Say WHAT? You think dumping peanuts 🥜 into your soda is kinda crazy? Excuse me, have you ever tried it?
(Touch)
Crazy Little Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment