Thursday, April 26, 2018

I Need More Money

Without question, I've come to realize that I don't have enough money. This reality crept up on me but it is a stark fact! Hear me explain. The other day, I opened a piece of mail and inside was a framed certificate with my wife's name indicating she is a 'Hall of Fame Boys Town Member.' I'm afraid to ask her. I do know that if both of us wrote twenty letters per day, we would live into our 100's before all our returns labels from various charities would be used.

Several years ago, I was told of a telephone number to call and all telemarketing calls would stop.
I did call that number. How's that playing out? Well, this past month I've fielded telephone calls seeking money from the Heart Association, MDA, Child Cancer, Diabetes Association, St. Jude's, Police Athletic Association, Sheriff's Association, a sewer insurance program and a home security company. Of course, Heather still calls wanting me to consolidate debt, etc. The mail man brings pleas from most of the aforementioned organization plus Wounded Warriors, Veterans of Foreign Wars, various church groups, every magazine company in America, Shriner's Crippled Children, lawn care companies, hearing aid seminars and senior living facilities not to forget internment plans.

The television commercials showing starving-dirty children and malnourished chained dogs all tug at my heart and I'm asked to send each 'just' $20 a month to alleviate the suffering. My T. V. viewing is interrupted by the door bell where familiar or unfamiliar youthful faces ask me to purchase a discount card, buy cookie dough or a Christmas candle to support a school program. Returning to my  television watching chair, I note that the thirty-minute sitcom these days must tell their story in 17-minutes due to needed advertising time to pitch pills that either reduce or increase joint stiffness.

It is apparent that I will 'run out of money' before this society runs out of causes.
(Touch)
Money

No comments:

Post a Comment