Friday, April 20, 2018

Keep The Children Safe

I have realized recently that I have a recurring daily prayer-line, "Dear God, please be with my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren this day. Help them to make good choices and protect them from the many perils in this contaminated society."

Why would I not speak these words of petition given the frightening events, which have become commonplace. It seems the daily newspaper too frequently reports young deaths associated with drugs and alcohol. Constantly, I hear news of youth suicides also related to drugs and/or social conflicts such as bullying and social media ostracism. Sadly, I notice physical appearance, dress and fashion displays that suggests young people are struggling in identity crisis as they desperately attempt to 'fit in' and find their place. And who can deny this real twenty-first century fear of terrorist in our midst. We live in a society with people committing mass murder to make some political statement and while our nation debates guns and mental illness issues, deranged individuals walk amongst us on a mission from hell.

Occasionally, I ask parents if they have concerns with some of  these aforementioned circumstances and behaviors. Often times, the parent responds, "It could be worse," or "I choose to pick my battles." My unsolicited response, "I suppose it could get worse but I hate to imagine." Regarding the 'pick your battles approach,' as a parent I intended to control all outcomes of disagreements with my teenage children. They learned early that 'house rules' and expectations were non-negotiable.

I understand that it is easy to second guess the coach and it is easy for older folks to be critical of younger parents. I wish not to assume that role. I would only encourage young parents to be unafraid to hold children to higher standards of expectations and understand consequences for their actions. Meanwhile, you all may want to join me in my daily prayer.
(Touch)
God: Protect the Children

No comments:

Post a Comment