Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I Don't Like Potlucks

My wife, Gerry informed me last evening that she wishes to attend a church event next week, which involves a 'potluck' meal. She knows that I absolutely deplore 'potlucks.' Look, by nature I am not a trusting person. I coached high school basketball for nearly forty years and if you've ever attended a high school basketball game and sat near parents, well you'd be educated regarding my disposition.  This may explain why one of my favorite songs is the O'Jays, 'Back Stabbers.'

Okay, I'm leery of a 'potluck' eating experience and why not? I would believe anybody with half a brain would share my suspicion of ingesting communal foods predicated on a degree of 'chance.' I cannot understand how my wife would commit to this potluck knowing her husband's aversion and paranoia regarding food preparations. I spent fourteen years around a family operated restaraunt and it was clean because my mother had a bigger phobia about food-cleanliness than do I. That said, to this day when eating out I always tell the server, "No Ice!" (And if you only knew). I never order foods prepare with mayo or dressings...it's a gamble.

Let me tell you about folks in west-central Illinois. Locals around Arenzville and Franklin, Illinois (self-proclaimed Burgoo Capital of the World) brag about their 'Burgoo Stew' being the Best!
Burgoo Stew is prepared communally in an all-night beer-guzzling social event where hunters have pooled venison, squirrel, opossum, raccoon, game Birds and every vegetable imaginable along with  spices of personal preference. It is said that a good Burgos Stew will hold a spoon upright. I cannot attest to that nor can I tell you what Burgoo Stew tastes like and just think, for 21-years I lived within ten miles of the Burgoo Capital.

All my children and even many of the grandchildren are aware of this old fart's food-fettish. They  make screw of me about it and I don't care. Come on! Anybody out there watch the movie, 'The  Help?' Well, then you know about Minny's chocolate pie!
(Touch)
Family Potluck

No comments:

Post a Comment