Monday, April 23, 2018

What's In A Name?

My parents named me, Melvin James. Although, I'm not a junior, Melvin was my father's name. My middle name, 'James' is a handle from my maternal side. In professional circles, I was always called, 'Mel.' However, this very day should I hear somebody say, "Moe,' I immediately know they are hometown East St. Louis or somebody who's been very close to the family over many years.  "Moe" is my nickname and the name my wife has hollered or spoken many times since 1953.

I've always enjoyed hearing people's nicknames. I recall my youth when not only all my friends were known by nicknames but also my favorite sports' heroes. 'The Man,' (Musial), 'Pepper' Martin, 'Babe' Ruth, 'Wee Willie' Keeler, 'Joltin' Joe DiMaggio and the lovable, Lawrence Peter 'Yogi Berra.

I have even given each of my fifteen grandkids nicknames: Boofer, Pookie, KeKe, Gunner, Modie, Kizzie, Gus (that's a girl), Ashy, Mookie, Dink, Pops, Pepper, Shay, Hoot and Kitt.

I don't think nicknames are as popular as in the past but I thank current President Ttump for re-vitalizing the nickname usage. All America has come to know: 'Little Marco,' 'Lyin Ted,'
'Low Energy' Jeb, 'Crazy' Bernie, 'Crooked' Hillary, 'Goofy' Elizabeth and 'Rocket Man.' Yep, the nickname is back thanks to 'Teenie-Weenie' Trump.
(Touch)
Name Game

No comments:

Post a Comment