Saturday, April 21, 2018

Old Bones

My wife and I live in a four-bedroom, two-story home with a finished den and office in the basement. I mention this because just yesterday, I was walking up and down steps and became very aware of my knee joints and leg muscles. I always took those body parts and functions for granted largely due to the fact that they never 'spoke' to me in the past.

During my afternoon two-mile walk, I thought of other aspects of my journey that have gradually but definitely changed over time. Today, I can more easily locate the part-line in my hair. It takes me less time to brush fewer teeth and the hair which has thinned on my scalp grows more rapidly in ears and nose. My skin is beginning to resemble an inner-city street map with aging spots suggesting the plethora of bars and drugstores.

My belly remains relatively 'flat' due to the fact that I have type 2-diabetes and thus no longer enjoy Cherry pie, German Chocolate Cake, homemade breads or M & M's. Our family doctor tells me that the slight tremor in my left hand is not indicative of anything other than a "senile tremor," which means it ain't gunna get better. My podiatrist assured me that just because the large toe on my left foot appears to be taking Horace Greeley's advice to "go West," I should not worry because it's the start of a bunion that he says, "won't catch up with your journey." Ummm!

My hearing aids need periodic cleaning but seem to do the job. The eye doctor says my sight is good but wants to check increasing pressure and the gastroenterologist wishes to do a lube-check periodically.

Actually, all considered, I'm blessed. Despite the mileage, I appear to have a 'working-machine.'
I thank God and modern medical technology. My friends tell me that my wife and I should 'down size' and move to a one-floor Ranch style house. I don't think I'll do that just now...up and down and in and out with the dog keeps the juices flowing. What's the saying? "Use it or lose it."
(Touch)
Old Bones

No comments:

Post a Comment