Friday, September 8, 2017

Celebrate While Ye May

That which I wish to share today is a know factor to folks my age; therefore, my sharing 'target' is that generation I see in the rear view mirror. Take note!

I never learned so much from a man who talked so little; that man was my father. He didn't run-off at the mouth but when he began to speak he was that person who immediately owned the room. Throughout my life, I paid attention to this man. Why not? He was a good blueprint. Even in his final years of life he showed a particular 'positive grit.' Let Me explain.

I'm seventy-eight years old. I have my share of physical issues but I note some my age with fewer issues, many with greater and more serious battles and even more who have succumbed to issues. My father, like many had a few surgeries but unlike most he had a massive heart attack at age 54. He nearly died. But by the grace of God, modern medicines, his determination and a terrific Barnes Hospital cardiology team, my father would not have lived 21-additional years after that initial heart attack.

In Dad's heart failure-weakened years, he kept pushing and planning. He never focused on what he couldn't do but instead zeroed in on anticipated family events next month and two months after that. He kept making plans for himself and YOU if you'd let him. His philosophy reminded me of the late  great baseball pitcher Satchel Paige who once said, "Never look behind somebody might be gaining  on you." My father did not focus on his weaknesses but on accentuating those strengths he had to share that upcoming family wedding, anniversary, birthday or other special special events. He always saw his life filled not empty. He gathered all life's nectar. He never missed an opportunity to celebrate life.

P.S. I have a younger brother who is in his third year 'celebrating' life after having a artificial heart pump placed in his chest during an 8-hour surgery...he also ranks as one of my heroes!
(Touch)
Celebr ate

No comments:

Post a Comment