Saturday, September 16, 2017

Dem Bones, Dem Bones

I cannot imagine what medical advancements might occur in the next seventy-eight years. Not many years ago many life-saving surgeries were not even available much less the now 'same day' and minimal invasive procedures, which are done in mass production routinely. Today, we are accustom to organ transplants, mechanical joints and robotic limbs. This older-fella is amazed yet I sure my grandchildren will grow up wondering what's the big deal because of untold advancements years ahead.

First and foremost remember to> Bring insurance cards and photo I. D.

We arrived at St. Mary's Hospital for Gerry's hip replacement surgery Wednesday at 5:15AM. She was admitted within five minutes due to pre-registration aided by technology. Surgery prep went rather smooth but here's where the questions got interesting. Do you have a 'living Will?' Do you agree to a blood transfusion if necessary? Do you wish to 'keep' the upper portion of the femur bone that is being cut from and removed from your body? Whoa! That caught my attention. I thought that's a tough one. Look, my femur bone/hip ball & socket has been attached near my booty for a long lifetime. That particular bone part has stabilized me and kept me from falling off the toilet. But why would somebody want to take their arthritic femur-hip bone home after being cut from the body? My thoughts were interrupted by my wife's answer, "No! I am sure my husband would write a stupid blog about it should I take it home. I did anyway.

You know, the more I think about discarding parts of my body in some cavalier manner it strikes me as being disloyal to an old friend.  
(Touch)
Dem Bones

No comments:

Post a Comment