Thursday, September 7, 2017

Work Attitude

I would not be so bold to suggest that I understand the 'why' or 'how-come' but I am convinced America's attitude towards work has changed. Here's what I've observed over the years:

In the early 1950's I recall my father's friends and neighborhood guy's kibitzing about their respective work place and particularly the job responsibilities they held. I vividly remember those fellas boasting about how much they did, how hard they worked and/or how much they accomplished. They struck me as 'proud workers.' In the late 1970's, we moved to central Illinois and many area workers were employed by the State of Illinois, those workers bragged about how much they are paid for how little they do. But it is not just State workers that I hear bragging about that scenario.
It seems over time American workers began embracing 'easy' with pride.

A friend of mine is CEO of a large trucking firm. He tells me that he cannot always get enough drivers because so many cannot pass the drug test. The trucking industry and railroad industry face another similar problem; law firms hold dinners and outings for their respective employees nurturing the workers to examine any aches or pains for possible litigation. A Caterpillar executive tells me the company needs workers but cannot find enough skilled or disciplined enough to show up regularly on time.

Recovery work continues in the wake of Hurricane Harvey...those workers are often illegal    immigrants 'willing' to do the dirty work...go figure!

I also recall back-in-the-day when convicted criminals serving prison terms expected to do 'hard time' meaning that of extremely hard work and long hours of hard work. I understand that the ACLU stuck their nose in that condition and changed it. Today prisoners' tasks are reasonable if not easy and is no longer is the convict part of a sweat gang. He might break a sweat lifting weights or playing basketball but he'll cool quickly in the air conditioned environment.
(Touch)
16-Tons

No comments:

Post a Comment