Friday, October 6, 2017

"Hi Yo Silver! .Away!"

Recently, I watched the movie 'Rooster Cogburn' staring John Wayne. While enjoying a movie that I've seen dozens of times, I reflected on my cowboy/ western movies' love-affair and how it all began.

As a very young boy in the late 1940's, I hung around Grandpa E. V. Bennett because we lived close to my grandparents and E. V. always fascinated with good stories and good sweets in his possession. At that time radio programs entertained families. E. V. got me hooked on 'country music' while listening to The Grand Old Opry and western programs. Of course, I got to know the cowboy names: Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and the classic series 'Death Valley Days.' I can still hear 'Pancho' saying, "Ah, Cisco!" Cisco reacts, "Ah, Pancho!"

Finally, 1949 gave us a look at our radio heroes through the magic of television. E. V. would cuss Clayton Moore, who played the Lone Ranger because of the opening scene when Moore rode 'Silver' down a hill at a gallop. "Damn Fool should know riding that horse fast downhill is hard on the animal's legs," said Grandpa. I've since researched it...E.V. was correct.

About this time, I discovered the Saturday afternoon Double Feature cowboy movies at the rundown, filthy, rat infested 'Avenue Theater' in downtown East St. Louis. The price was right....09 cents. Smart kids brought their own candy and None of the kids ate the Avenue's popcorn. I recall how my Chuck Taylor Converse All-Star tennis shoes stuck to the floor in the fire trap theater.

These days, I never miss a chance to watch cowboy movies playing on television. I suppose my  favorites are Rio Bravo, Tombstone and Unforgiven. I do have a wish. I'd like to see a running serial before the feature film. You know, something with Tom Mix or 'Hoot' Gibson.
(Touch)
Hi Yo Silver! Away!

No comments:

Post a Comment