Thursday, October 19, 2017

Positive Energy a Blessing

The doorbell rang and when I opened the door there stood a neighbor girl who attends a local high school. With pen and notebook in hand she spoke, "Mr. Roustio, my interpersonal communications class is conducting interviews with senior citizens as we work on a project called, "Through the Eyes of Seniors." I immediately thought of a better title: 'Old Farts Have Arthritis & Opinions,' but I stifled my comment.

Her specific contribution to this effort was to ask three senior men and three senior women this question: "In your lifetime what bothered you the most and has it improved over the years or gotten worse?" WOW! Terrific question and one I could easily and readily answer with passionate knowledge: Answer> "Negative Energy and it has gotten worse." Of course, she requested elaboration and now I share in this blog.

The first time I was aware of 'negative vibes or negative energy,' I was eleven years old and playing on a city youth baseball team. All the older boys on the team could not stop talking about how good the pitcher on the other team was and how he'd likely be too much for us to beat...what a downer!
That kind of negative energy hangs around athletic teams, therefore as I got older I began using  mental imagery before I pitched in a baseball game or played basketball. I got off in a area alone,  . closed my eyes and mentally pictured making a basket or snapping off a good curve ball. I don't  know how much it helped but I sure in-the-hell blocked out negative thoughts! As a coach and  athletic director, I had ideas to build various programs and often I'd encounter negative opposition. I pushed through and found ways to surround myself with positive people who pulled in the same direction. If that was impossible, I'd cut my losses and saddle my horse then looked for a place in  need where energetic passion could fill a void. I still do that this very day! Gives me a buzz.

Once in awhile, I need an emotional lift and I turn to an individual who's personal strength in the face of heartbreaking odds offers positive energy. Her name was Eva Cassidy. She had one of the most beautiful singing voices I have ever heard. She had bone cancer and friends held a benefit for her. She was so moved by the turnout that with assistance, she walked to a stool at 'Blues Alley' and positioned herself in front of a microphone. With her parents and hundreds of friends in the audience, Eva picked up her guitar and sang for the last time in public...she died six weeks later at age 33. Her song selection was unbelievable and inspires me today.
(Touch)Eva's Last Public Song

No comments:

Post a Comment